Sunday, March 6, 2011

Recognizing the Signs

Today we were driving up to Altamont, TN. As we were driving up the "Mountain" road (It is really more of a big hill you drive up.) I remembered that it was recently closed. I was very grateful that it was reopened because if not our trip to church would have been a lot longer. Driving up this hill I remembered a few weeks prior when we were taking this same road that we noticed some large rocks by the road side. We joked that the mountain was falling apart. Well within the next few days there was a huge rock slide in that place that caused the road to be closed. As I pondered on this I realized that the small rocks were a sign of greater things to come. I realized that God works the same way. He gives us little warning signs that if we follow we will be blessed. If we don't follow these warning signs we could end up in a big mess. Like the huge rock slide. I know that God will send us the promptings to keep us away from danger but it is up to us to notice them and follow them. This leads me to the question. How do these signs from God come to us? They can come in many different ways. The first that comes to my mind is the Holy Ghost. The scripture 2 Nephi 32:5 explains that the Holy Ghost will show us all things we should do.  In 2 Nephi 32:3 it teaches us that the words of Christ (or the scriptures) will tell everything we should do. We can receive these signs from God as we pray. In Alma 26:22 we are taught that if we pray sincerely we will know the mysteries of God.  Prophets also show us God's will and if we follow the counsel they give us we will know the warning signs. We can learn about that from 3 Nephi 23:5. I know that prophets are key in God's church and His plan to bring us closer to Him. I know that there is a living prophet on the earth today. His name is Thomas S. Monson. Check out this link to hear his testimony and learn more; http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/president-thomas-s-monson

No comments:

Post a Comment