Tuesday, May 10, 2011

There Really is a God

Yesterday I was walking around in down town Nashville with Elder Coles. We came across this lady walking her dog. She stopped and talked to us for a short moment and when the topic of religion came up she quickly informed us that she is atheist. Out of curiosity we asked her why. Her reply was life. Then she went her separate way. I personally was confused as to how life could show there was no God.

As I thought of it the first thing that came to my mind was this complex body we have. I thought of what a great creation it is. Then the scripture Genesis 1:27 came to mind about being created in God's image. I just know that God loves us and that he created these bodies for us so we could come to Earth to learn and grow. I know God lives.

Elder Coles and I continued on our journey and met a lady working out in her yard. We stopped and talked to her for awhile. We sat down with her in the grass and had a good discussion. As I sat there my mind went back to the previous discussion of life shows there is no God. As I was sitting there enjoying the nice weather and looking at all of the nice plants and everything I wondered how this showed there was no God. My mind again went to Genesis and the creation. It teaches us in the scriptures that God created the world and everything in. I also thought of a Book of Mormon prophet that teaches that all things prove there is a God (Alma 30:44). This world and universe is way to complex to just come into existence. It took a well laid plan from our Father in Heaven to develop this beautiful place for us to live.

Then as I was driving home that night I thought of how people could think there is no God with how crazy and messed up life can be at times. We are definitely faced with a lot of hardship and heartbreaks as we go through life. People might question why a loving all powerful God would do that. I do know that God loves us and wants what's best for us. I also know that God has blessed all of his children with agency or the freedom to choose ( 2 Ne. 2:27 2 Ne. 10:23). God allows us to make our own choices. This life is a test for us to prove we are going to follow God (2 Nephi 2:21)(Alma 34:32). As in all test there is right and wrong. It is up to us to figure out what is right but there is always and opposition or temptation to lead us to do wrong (2 Nephi 2:11)(2 Nephi 2:15). People will make choices that will hurt us but we can't get mad at God for that. I know that God loves us and is there for us. I know that at times life gets hard but I also know that it is during those hard times that we grow closer to God. We need to trust in God and stay faithful to His commandments and as we do we will find the light and joy at the end of the tunnel. I know that God loves each and every one of us. I know that he is just a prayer away and that he hears and answers all of our prayers. It all just starts with a desire to believe and then acting on that desire (Alma 32).

I know that everyone has their own beliefs but I know that if anyone will read the Book of Mormon and apply its teachings and pray and ask God if it is true they will find joy and happiness in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment